The more you know about sharks hopefully the more you will understand and respect them. For most of us what we know about sharks is based on myth and superstition. Here are a few interesting facts for you to chew on.
- Sharks have been around for over 400 million years
- Sharks live in every ocean of the world from the Arctic to the Antarctic.
- The average life span of a shark is around 25 years, but some have been known to live to 100
- The biggest shark is the Whale Shark, it can be up to 50 feet (15 m) in length. It is what is called a filter feeder, it sieves plankton in huge amounts to eat through its gills as it swims along
- The dwarf lantern shark is the smallest shark at a size of around 15cm